Friday, January 23, 2009

Intimidation

For lunch, I basically only have 3 restaurants that are close enough to eat at within my 30 minute lunch break: McDonalds (the closest), Quiznos, and Tim Hortons. I'm ashamed to say I've actually eaten at McDonalds 3 or 4 times within the past month because of this! I work at that location twice a week and I'm very much a variety-girl... but I almost always get the Chili w/ a whole wheat country bun at Tim Hortons for $3.99. Cheap, healthy, and good. On the day I don't have Tim Horton's and I don't feel like eating at McDonalds, I head to Quiznos, which is right next to TH. However, I never end up eating there because I'm always intimidated by the customers! They are always all full-grown males! Plus, the path I choose to walk there (cutting through the parking lot) combined with the set up of the tables in the restaurant and the floor to ceiling glass windows increases my level of intimidation. I feel like a caged animal (except I'm actually on the outside). It's definitely an unfamiliar feeling to me... even as a server where I've served such a variety of customers including large-group tables filled with 10 huge males, 4 of which were tattoo-covered, bald-by-choice Caucasians in leather!

I read a Soompi thread quite a while ago on people who were intimidated to shop/eat at a store/restaurant for various reasons such its connotation, the kinds of clothes/products they sell, or the kinds of people who work there. They mentioned stores such as Abercrombie or restaurants like Hooters (lol). I couldn't understand it at the time, but now it's totally the type of customers Quiznos happens to get at that particular location! Next time, I'm going to suck it up (and get take out haha) and I will remind myself that I will be greeted warmly by one of the older Italian employees who is such a sweet, smiley woman.... and because Quiznos is healthier than McDonalds and other than the Chili or their bland club sandwiches, TH is full of junk.

Have you ever felt the least bit intimidated at a store/restaurant? Of certain people?

4 comments:

Melanie said...

natty, that sweet smiley lady isn't italian, she's iranian! ahaha

Natasha said...

HAHAHAHAH!
Really???? She looks Italian to me! but now I see that she looks like both... HOW do you know Iranian instead of Iraqi??? Hmmmm???

Melanie said...

Because I heard her speak! She spoke to the guy at the front, the old man cashier, her husband most likely. He was nice too.

Nat said...

i get intimidated tooooo...
i get intimidated by mean customers..T_T they fluster me and because i think they realize i dont reaaaaallly know what i'm talking about...